Monday, January 11, 2010

political vs personal

When people describe my work as political, I get a little thrown off balance. I think that this is probably because I'm not sure what political means to other people, and what that implies about my art and my motives for making it. My art is intensely personal, and perhaps this makes it political in a way that I am not aware of. However, I am probably one of the least updated people I know when it comes to actual politics, mostly because I find it unbelievably boring and ugly. In my mind politics is a bunch of gross old men feeling very important about themselves, and I couldn't care less. I know that is narrow-minded, but those are the feelings I have about it

 I'm interested in the biology of the body, a person's relationship to eating and excreting, and the way their relationships with other's affect them. It's about how it feels to live in a body that is open and constantly taking in and releasing parts of it's environment. My art is very self-centered in this way, and I accept that this is where my interests are.

1 comment:

  1. I don't see your work as very political, not in the slightest actually. I think when people see work with a female figure that isn't the "ideal form" the immediately associate that with social commentaries on the matter. Most people are too lazy to dig past the surface of an idea, or too stupid.
    I really love your work, the oil on linen i think is most successful, but the others are just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete